Keeping it local is at the heart of Indiebound’s messaging. It’s about encouraging and celebrating customers who are choosing to buy local and support your store.
It’s your choice where you shop, but when you shop at an independently owned business, your entire community benefits:
Find some great articles espousing the importance of Indiebound here
YOU’RE SUPPORTING THE LOCAL ECONOMY
- US research shows that for every $100 spent at a local store $68 of that stays in your community.
- Successful businesses attract other businesses, creating pockets of growth and opportunity that serve your community.
- Local businesses donate to charities at more than twice the rate of non-local businesses.
HELP BUILD YOUR COMMUNITY
- Shopping indie helps develop the character in a town or city.
- For local business owners, your community is their community so they have a personal interest in its long term health.
- Local businesses are run by local people who then employ other local people.
LOCAL PEOPLE KNOW LOCAL PEOPLE
- Create a meaningful relationship with your local bookshop and they’ll be able to order a choice of books that suit you best.
- It’s always worth making a little extra effort to shop locally. If you can’t find the book you want just ask – your local bookshop will find it for you.
All it takes is a slight re-think when you’re about to make purchase decisions – and the conscious choice to support your local traders.
LINKS WE LOVE
- Books Are My Bag
- Farmers markets New Zealand
- Local food
- Transition Towns
- WOW City - an interactive community marketplace